Ok – I am really excited to share this because it just turned out so darned nice! Usually I see stuff I’d like done differently after I finish a project. But this one turned out better than I anticipated! And I made it at 1am before I went to Missouri to see my sister graduate – guess I work better late at night and under pressure! Oh wait – don’t all crafters work better under pressure??? I know I do!

Anyway – here’s what I made. I found this mirror at Ikea last summer and bought a few of them. And then they sat there in my “crap to alter” closet. (You know you have one too!) I was trying to think of something I could make my sister that she could take to college with her. But nothing too dorky. I spotted one of these mirrors in my closet and went to work.

(I took two pics – one with a flash and one without. It was a hard color of paper to get a good shot of…especially in the wee hours of morning!)

beth-frame-2-6-08.jpg

beth-frame-1-5-08-erg.jpg

I think they were about $3. I want to say it measures somewhere around 9×9? I have no idea. But it took quite a bit of a 12×12 piece of paper to cover it. They are natural wood, so I started by painting the front and back with white acrylic paint. Just to make it look a bit more finished.

Then I laid the mirror front side down on the back of the paper I wanted to use.  I traced around the edges and cut it out.  Then I placed the paper on and used my fingers to mush around the mirror part so I’d know about where to cut the opening for that out.  I cut it and trimmed it down until it was a tad undercut all around.  I put the paper on with mod podge and then sanded the edges with a sanding block.

One of the harder parts was spraying the acrylic sealant without getting it on the mirror part – total pain!!  I put one coat of sealant on before I did the rub-ons.  I used various BasicGrey rubons to decorate the one corner of the frame.  I’m really happy with how they look on there!  I think the butterflies really coordinated well with the paper I used.  I then did another coat of acrylic sealant and when it was dry – I cleaned up the mirror part a bit.

beth-frame-3-6-08-erg.jpg

supplies: Ikea mirror; RSVP pen; microbeads; purely pomegranate cardstock; Fancy Pants patterned paper; mod podge; white acrylic paint; O’so sticky paper; chipboard letter to trace B onto cardstock; dimensionals; glitter; post-it pad; ribbons.

I also made a matching beaded pen and post-it holder to match.  I figured she could use those at school – and I found this ‘B’ post-it pad at Target on clearance.

Tutorials here:

Beaded Pens

Post-it Holders (I adjusted the dimensions for this pad, but the idea is the same)

Mod Podge and Sealed Frames, etc 

beth-frame-4-6-08-erg.jpg

And here you can see the cute monogram post-its I found!

beth-frame-5-6-08-erg.jpg

Ok – so that’s what I made!  I think she liked it – she decided to display it on one the tables of her things she had out during her graduation party.  I took that to mean she wanted to show it off because she liked it!  Let me know if you have any questions!   And tomorrow I’ve got another digi freebie for y’all!